Most mommies will use a bottle with their baby at some point, whether it's expressed breast milk or formula. I was planning to nurse my daughter, but nursing did not go well for us and I ended up exclusively pumping (EP'ing) for her for 5 months until my supply died down and we switched to formula. That story might get posted at another time, but for now I'll discuss my experience with bottles and accessories.
We used only used one type of bottle with our daughter: the Playtex Drop-ins nursers. I really loved them, and had no reason to try any others. Some people do have to try several to find one that their child will accept, but she latched right on to these.
For those of you who don't know, when my daughter was born we were still in the middle of a major (unplanned) house renovation. I was just grateful to be moved back into my house with a running toilet before she was born! My kitchen had a stove and a fridge, but there was no kitchen sink to wash bottles in, no cabinets, no countertops. It was somewhat primitive! My bottle choice definitely was affected by that situation, but given our wonderful experience with them, I wouldn't make a different choice even if given the chance.
Pros:
- If breastfeeding, you can pour the pumped milk right into the drop-in liner and store in the fridge for later use, or use right then.
- If formula feeding, formula can be mixed in these just like any other bottle.
- The collapsing nature of the liner mimics the breast and reduces gas, therefore reducing the chances for a gassy, fussy baby.
- The pieces are easy to clean and store.
- There are multiple flow nipples so that you can choose the one that best matches your natural flow, if nursing. (Start with slow and work up to the faster ones - too fast will make for a gassy baby also.)
- When a bottle accidentally gets left out (rolls under the seat of a car, under the couch, left outside, left in the car, etc) if the milk sours, you can just toss the liner and not try to get the nasty smell out of a plastic bottle.
- Bottles can be warmed with just warm water in a shorter time because the liner is thinner than regular bottle sides.
- I prefer the wider nipple structure because it mimics the breast shape. This is important for moms whose babies go between breast and bottle (working moms, EP'ing moms, etc).
Cons:
- Purchasing extra liners is an expense that you wouldn't have with a traditional bottle. However, I did reuse mine to stretch them out longer. The company recommends not reusing them, but that's mostly because they can't guarantee sterilization after that. If you feel confident that you're getting them clean, reuse them a few times before pitching them. Also, Parents Choice (Walmart brand) makes liners that fit the Playtex bottles and are less expensive. They are slightly less in quality, but definitely will save you some money.
- Some reviewers have complained of leakage, but that only happened to me twice. Once, I did not have the lid screwed on properly, so it was a quick fix of just taking it off and putting it back on. The second time there was a hole in the liner, and I'm not sure if it was there when new, or if I accidentally punctured it somehow. Either is possible. But twice in 15 months of use is really not that much, so I don't really see this as a significant reason not to use these bottles.
- NOT microwave safe. You should be very careful about warming baby bottles in the microwave for several reasons (burning baby and it kills enzymes in breastmilk), but do not ever microwave these bottles. The plastic will melt!
- I've read some reviews about these bottles melting a bottle warmer. However, one of the other points I was already planning to make about bottle accessories was this: I think a bottle warmer is totally unnecessary. Most babies I have been around will drink milk if it is either warm or room temp (some babies will drink it cold from the fridge, but that's less common). Just warm the bottle under running hot water in the sink, or in a bowl of standing hot water. No need for an extra $30 spent on a bottle warmer.
Accessories:
- For reasons already mentioned, I personally think bottle warmers are completely unnecessary.
- I never used a drying rack or sterilizer. I used my dishwasher to wash/sterilize my bottles and pump parts. I can see the appeal if you don't have a dishwasher, but even before my dishwasher was hooked up in my kitchen, I didn't use one.
- Formula dispenser - VERY handy gadget for formula feeding mommies! No need to measure out formula in a parking lot, store, bathroom (ew, unsanitary!), or other random public place. Just pre-measure the amounts in this dispenser and then pour into baby's bottle and add water! Kudos to the inventor of this one.
- Dishwasher basket - super handy gadget right here! If you have a dishwasher, these baskets will hold all the small bottle parts and keep them safe while sterilizing in the dishwasher. Also, later on they are great for toddler things like sippy cup valves and lids, etc. I use them for other small dishes occasionally too!
- Formula Pitcher - I thought this was going to be a great idea, but it turned out I didn't need it. It was nice to have bottles pre-made, but since you have to refrigerate formula after you mix it, the whole pitcher went in the fridge, and when it was time to make a bottle, I had to take the time to warm it up. So it doesn't really save any time at the point of feeding time - you're either going to spend time mixing the bottle, or spend time warming it up.
No comments:
Post a Comment